Monday, September 17, 2012

“Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow.”

And of course, Studying is why we're here!

I figured a post about about my course schedule and class descriptions would be appropriate. 

Let me begin by saying, the University of Rochester requires we take a least four classes. Our grades don't go directly into our GPA, they work on a Pass/Fail standard, meaning I just need to get a C or better. However, when applying to Grad school or other institutions, they'd receive a copy of my official transcript here. So that's how my grades work.

Originally I had signed up for five courses. Because I am a crazy committed student like that.
After failing miserably at the Modern Greek Crash Course, I opted to drop my Ancient Greek Language class, which is harder. And good thing, seeing as those students spent 5 hours doing the first nights translation homework. WHEW!

Study Abroad is made up of two big components. You study your selected subjects, and you study the culture, life, and people as well. A rigorous course load is a sure-fire way to over exert myself and risk missing out on all the wonders Athens has to offer!

I am taking two history classes (Which I have Mondays and Wednesdays) and two Religion courses (which I have Tuesdays and Thursdays). All of my courses relate to each other really well. Its such a great set up. When all my courses line up this well, its a nice reassuring feeling that everything is coming together full circle. My interests are making sense and I am in the right place. 

My first class of the Week is A History of the Byzantium Empire. 
The Byzantium Empire is where modern day Istanbul, Turkey is located. It was an incredible ancient civilization. It was the continuation of the Eastern part of the Roman Empire and the center of the Ancient world for Century's. I remember being fascinated with its history ALL the way back in 9th Grade Global history. Being able to study it soooo close to it is awesome. Some students and I are entertaining the possibility of visiting Istanbul during our week long fall break. There is a Byzantium Museum here that our class will be visiting frequently. We got to go there this past Friday for the first time.
The Greeks know CYA Students as DIKEMES students. We have a DIKEMES student ID card, which is like Magic. We get into Museums and other exhibits for free. We have full range to ALL the history opportunities here in Athens. 
So naturally, we will have the opportunity to really get to know these museums and ancient ruins well. 

Next I have The Middle East in World Affairs.
This class is particularly interesting because the professor is so knowledgeable about Middle Eastern Affairs.  This class will focus on analyzing and understanding Middle Eastern mistrust of the west. Our professor emphasizes that we don't have to agree with what he's teaching. The point is not for us to change our perspective, but to make an effort to understand where they are coming from. It's been a joy thus far. He just launches into a lecture and gives us detailed pieces of history off the top of his head.It doesn't get boring. He's kind of sarcastic and witty, which makes it that much more entertaining. 

My first Religion class of the Week is The Religions of the Middle East: A Comparative Approach.
This class takes Christianity, Judaism, and Islam (All the main Monotheistic Religions of the world) and compares them side by side. It looks at how similar their foundations are and how exactly they differ. I am not a huge fan of monotheistic religious studies, as my interests generally rest in the East, but I like that this class focuses on the Three, rather than just one of them. I enjoyed studying Islam, so to have it compared and contrasted against religions I am more familiar to in my everyday life will surely be interesting. The professor doesn't waste time getting to the nitty-gritty. She asks students where their faith lies and what their opinions on certain aspects of religion are. Considering Religion is usually a reason for people to disagree, bringing it out in a classroom setting is rather refreshing. We're being provided with an intelligent, Open-minded environment to share ideas and understand different opinions. No one has gotten frustrated with anyone, nor blatantly disagreed with someone in an immature, uncomfortable fashion. I really like hearing how different everyone's opinions are and I am really glad we're getting that opportunity.

My last Religion course is Ancient Greek Mythology and Religion.
This teacher is absolutely insane in all the best kinds of ways. This class is unusual in that it combines Greek religion and Greek myth, why are usually separate kinds of classes in the states. In Ancient Greece, Religion and Myth were one in the same. Polytheistic religions experience the cosmos so much differently than our Western Monotheistic religions. Polytheism is a way of life much differently than we find today.  Making deals with the Gods was embedded in the everyday routine. Its really is a completely different world. This class will dig deeper into the Greek Gods and try to create a better understanding of the festivals and practices of the Ancient Greeks. It will seek to explain the relationship between religion and culture in the Ancient world. The professor highly recommended the Play that we saw, as it illustrates humanity mingling with divinity. I am not entirely sure how she will present the class in the following weeks, but I am most definitely interested to see how she works it. 

Over all, my professors seem very scholarly and knowledgeable in their respective fields. They've been working with CYA for a long time and really know how to help us have the best Study Abroad semester we can possibly have here. They're very encouraging when it comes to having us explore the city on our own. And when it comes to research projects and papers, they're all about having us get to know museums and monuments here, rather than have us in the library reading about it. It seems like a very hands on semester and I am totally looking forward to it! 

No comments: