Sunday, September 23, 2012

Friday Fruit Market. . .


The most incredible looking produce EVER!

From the beginning of our time here, our professors and other advisers have encouraged us to visit the Friday Fruit Market here in Athens. For my flatmates and I, the fruit market is roughly a two block walk from our apartment. This past Friday, in preparation for our visit to Crete, Nikita, Jasmine, and I decided to venture down the narrow Athenian streets to find out what all the buzz was about. 
Since I was very little, I participated in the Rochester Public Market with my Grandfather and Uncle, usually selling our popular baked goods that we do every season. Snow storm or not, we stood at our booth, socializing and exploring everything the Rochester had to offer. Depending on the season, you would see anything from Antiques to clothing and accessories and of course, produce.
The Athens Fruit Market was incredible. As I'm sure you've all gathered from the pictures, Athens has lots of narrow, winding streets. Parked cars and other people walking down the street makes it feel overwhelmingly small. The fruit market was even more packed.
All the produce looked big and fresh. It was really amazing. 
What was even more amazing, was the prices for things. Whether it was the produce or sandals or anything else you could imagine, everything was really really cheap.

I look forward to going back in the weeks I spend in Athens and really taking full advantage. We eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables here, and the food quality is supurbe. 

Unfortunately, we didn't get back from Crete until early Saturday, so we missed the fruit market this week. But I will certainly go next week!

For more pictures of the Market and Food here in General,
The password is "QuestForCulture"

No comments: